The Teaching ESL students in mainstream classrooms course:
- develops teachers’ understanding of the support English as a second language (ESL) students need to be successful learners
- develops teachers’ awareness of how to accommodate the cultural and linguistic diversity and experiences of ESL students
- identifies the language-related needs of ESL students and develops teaching practices that address their needs in a holistic and explicit manner
- provides strategies, across the curriculum, for effective teaching and learning
- provides a positive context for teachers to trial suggested strategies and reflect critically and openly on their teaching
- underpins all strategies with an understanding of the role of language in learning
- develops collaborative working relationships between all teachers through a shared understanding of how to support ESL students.