Teaching in English in multilingual classrooms: Language in learning across the curriculum is a comprehensive, research-based professional development program that supports teachers looking for a pedagogical approach that improves learning outcomes for all students—those at an early stage of learning in English and those with high levels of working with English. It supports teachers in addressing the diverse learning needs of all students in manageable ways—holistically and sustainably.
The course presents strategies and addresses issues concerning the fundamental relationship between literacy and successful learning. The course promotes the use of these literacy strategies in all areas of learning.
The strength of Teaching in English in multilingual classrooms: Language in learning across the curriculum lies in its ability to:
- develop teachers’ awareness of the need to take into account the linguistic diversity and experiences of all students
- demonstrate how language is central to the construction of knowledge and, therefore, central to learning
- underline the importance of and illustrate how to build students’ repertoires of language resources through foregrounding learning about language
- provide a rich set of resources (linguistic and visual) from across year levels and learning areas for teachers to adopt and adapt within their classroom settings to design effective and sustainable teaching practices
- provide a positive context for teachers to reflect critically and openly on their teaching and to trial suggested strategies
- build a set of shared understandings about language and literacy as a critical part of establishing and maintaining productive and meaningful working relationships between all teachers
- promote whole-school approaches to addressing the needs of students in developing high levels of literacy across the curriculum.
Teaching in English in multilingual classrooms: Language in learning across the curriculum is delivered through a series of modules incorporating interactive, hands-on activities, which will provide teachers with evidence-based classroom strategies for improving the learning outcomes of all their students.